Storah Architecture provided conservation advice and archaeological recording for the conversion of the grade II* listed, former conference centre in Canonbury Place, Islington to form a new independent sixth form centre for Cognita Schools.
The buildings are the reclad east wing of Canonbury House, founded by the Canons of Smithfield during the reign of Henry III. The majority of the existing fabric dates from the time of Sir John Spencer (1570-1610), with fine plaster ceilings of 1599, though prior to this the house passed through the ownership of several prominent post-dissolution figures, including Thomas Cromwell, John Dudley and within in the jointure of Anne of Cleves.
The conversion of Canonbury Academy provides an independent sixth form centre for the area as well as a natural progression for students at the nearby Cognita Schools North Bridge House.
It houses two dedicated Science labs, arts and media suites and music practice rooms within the historic fabric. A further science lab is currently undergoing planning consideration.